Charity Bytes is a business-to-business online marketplace that helps organizations manage otherwise wasted food. Through the platform, businesses with healthy, surplus food and valuable, organic waste connect to organizations that can quickly put it to use.
Use Charity Bytes for food donations to nonprofits or charities, while helping to account for wastage and organisational donations.
Using any computer or mobile device, food businesses can quickly post what they have available, automatically notify our network of recipients via email and in-app messages, and coordinate logistics in real-time. Users receive automated receipts to track transactions, aggregate data, and assist with claiming tax benefits. In instances where food is donated, or financial donations are made, payments are all processed quickly, safely, and securely using a trusted payment service.
We have developed Charity Bytes to be a locally relevant application, implying its ability to be used geographically in most countries. If you are a food business, farm, or nonprofit, sign up here and become part of the Charity Bytes community.
Throwing away food is expensive! And for many businesses in many countries like France and United States, it is now illegal, whereas in Australia it is still optional. Charity Bytes helps businesses find more optimal uses for wasted food with the click of a button. You can use Charity Bytes to keep food out of the landfill, fight food insecurity, and benefit your business in the following ways:
- Save money through cost reductions, new revenue streams, and tax breaks
- Overcome inefficiencies in food management and comply with food waste regulations In many parts of the world there are similar capabilities to Australia where The Civil Liabilities Amendment Act was passed in NSW in 2005 with ACT, SA and QLD following. This ensured surplus food could be donated to charitable causes without fear of liability.
- Manage relationships and communication with local nonprofits and vendors
- Aggregate data to inform stakeholders of food recovery and waste diversion efforts
- Experience more seamless and efficient payment processing
- Procure near code or “ugly” food products as inputs for food production
Nonprofits or Charities, such as food banks, food rescue organizations, community centers, church groups, and pantries etc, can use Charity Bytes to support their core mission: feeding those most in need. Charity Bytes can help:
- Strengthen your relationships with existing donors and suppliers through realtime communication and reporting
- Connect with new sources of healthy food to improve the volume and diversity of food
- Offer access to local food donations
- Save time and administrative headaches through automated reporting
Charity Bytes users accept liability for their actions and must comply with relevant food safety guidelines and Food Safety practices. In liability protection for food donations in Australia The Civil Liabilities Amendment Act was passed in NSW in 2005 with ACT, SA and QLD following. While in the United States the federal Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act provides liability protection for food donations made in good faith.
Charity Bytes works with many types of food businesses to reduce wasted food. Our can accommodate suppliers includes food producers, distributors, grocery stores, supermarkets, farms, institutions, and restaurants. Charity Bytes unfortunately does not accept food from individuals.
Charity Bytes accepts surplus, healthy food that is fresh, frozen, or prepared. The real-time nature of our platform is particularly useful for quickly finding outlets for highly perishable products such as fruits, vegetables, dairy products, and meats. These products are often the most nutritious, yet the most likely to be wasted, food is classified on our platform with the following categories:
- Simply Surplus: Quality, edible food with no “fine print”. Surplus can often be caused by overproduction, unpredictable demand, or misordering.
- Ugly but Lovely: Food that is 100% edible for human consumption, but may have a cosmetic issue. This may include food products that are blemished; are an odd shape, size or color; or have damaged or mis-labeled packaging.
- Short Shelf Life: Food products that are close to expiration, such as “best by” or “use by” date. This may include time-sensitive products, such as dairy, meat, and produce.
- Prepared: Unserved food prepared for immediate human consumption by a restaurant, food service, or caterer. This includes food that is prepared on a “take out” or “to go” basis that does not need significant additional preparation or cooking. Storage and handling must meet local and/or ServSafe or Food Safety guidelines.
Charity Byte users love “Ugly but Lovely” food! We have a network of nonprofits and food makers that can distribute and/or incorporate “Ugly but Lovely” product into their menus today. Situations that might call for posting include: overstocked inventory, short-shelf life, slightly damaged packaging, mis-orders, or mislabeled goods.
Yes, but we try to create an environment of localised support for organisation! We have developed this platform so that businesses can discover new organisations and form new relationships. However, we are currently working so that organisations can also continue to work with specific nonprofit or business partner or an existing network of organisations.
When posting food to our platform, you will need to indicate a date by when the food needs to be claimed, or these will automatically be accounted for as waste.
Immediately! Users can customize how they receive alerts. Notifications are available via email, and through the Charity Bytes app directly.
Before claiming a post, users will have access to information about the product, including a brief description, quantity, location, expiration date, and handling requirements.
As soon as you claim a post, you can instantly message the food business to coordinate logistics.
Items placed on the Charity Bytes are accessible to all users. Items may be posted for a number of reasons: overstocked inventory, short-shelf life, cosmetic imperfections, damaged packaging, or mis-orders.
Charity Bytes is in the process of creating a mobile donation system for non-for-profits and charities, to give them the ability for secure mobile payment donation transactions.
Charity Bytes are currently in the process of developing for charities and non-for-profits the ability to better communicate and deliver the help required for individuals, needing helping. The capabilities of this will include :
- Ability to better track food distribution to those families and individuals along with allowing for direct communication for the individuals back to the charity or non-for-profit
- Ability for individuals to better get food when it required for their family allowing for them to track their usage and to be able to give charities